Google Voice is a free service that allows people to choose a local number for voice mail and calls. You have to link your Google Voice number with your mobile or landline number, so that you can receive a call on all your devices and easily forward calls to transcribed voice mail when you are unavailable.
To get a Google Voice Number, You needs to:
- Go to www.Google.com/voice.
- Log in using a Gmail account or first register for a Gmail account if you don't have one.
- You will see a link that says "Get a Google Voice Number". Click on the link and you will be taken to set up a Google Voice Number.
- Click on the "I want a new number" button in the first set up prompt.
- Enter your zip code or area code to find an available local number.
- Choose your number from a list of numbers when you find a zip code with available phone numbers.
- Enter a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your phone number.
- And then add the forwarding phone number or numbers.
- You will get a confirmation number on the next prompt screen. Click the "Call Me Now".
- You will get a call on the forwarding number. Answer the phone. Type in the confirmation number when prompted and you are done.